Thursday, April 12, 2012

Impromptu vacations to familiar places...

When you somewhat suddenly have two weeks off and you have not planned anything then an impromptu vacation is just the thing to do.
 
On Skype with Papa...he misses us so much...my cousin is going home for the weekend for his b-day. I really wanted to celebrate with him since we are now in the same city once again...brain starts working...and instead of thinking about it even for a minute, my idea flows out of my mouth, into the microphone, through the magical world of Skype and into my fathers ears...there is no turning back now. The idea sounds as follows...

"Well if we find decent flights then we will go to Kiev for the weekend for birthday celebrations and then spend the week in Kharkov since its so perfectly close"....

obvious response went something along the lines of...amazing! great! see you in a few days!

So being the rational person that he is, T finds us great tickets, as my father is not taking no for an answer...His reasoning is that since I have already thought it and said it out loud that I should just stick to it and not turn back...

We buy tickets lets say Tuesday...we party in London town Friday, wake up feeling not so hot on Saturday...lounge in absolutely NO rush even though our bags are not packed, our flat is not cleaned and we have no idea how we are getting to the airport. About two hours before our flight the scramble kicks in and we are both running around the house, cleaning, packing, worrying, googling directions....
We leave late, arrive late and therefore miss our flight...I panic, I have never missed a flight. Don't know what to do. First instinct is to get really mad...then cry...then smoke...then panic some more...Call Papa (he is taking his afternoon nap)...Call sister (she is in Canada and taking her morning nap)...Call Mama...not sure what I am looking for...support, a pick me up, a way for our flight to re open and let us on...none of this happens with the phone call...

Next step...must pull myself together. The lady behind the Lufthansa desk gave us one of those "Sorry there is nothing I can do but have you pay double what you paid for the flights there and back" kind of answers (legit)...This is probably why my first instinct was to get really mad...
So once again pulled together we decide to talk to the people behind the desk again...Patrick, or Peter or perhaps Phillip turns out to be a much better behind the desk helper. He finds us a flight in roughly two hours time that does not end up costing us an arm and a leg...just an arm...

We check in. Get rid of our bags. Get coffee, sandwiches, water. We sit. Relax. Laugh at the situation. Realize that missing our flight was simply just more convenient since our layover in Frankfurt is now going to only be 1.5 hours instead of 5! 

In my family, we believe that all good vacations should start with a little adventure. Usually our trusty travel agent is responsible for the pre-flight frenzy...this time however we did it all by ourselves!

Flight takes off...LufGAnZA...London--->Frankfurt--->Kiev....on the plane near the light bulbs, in German it says :

Mash this is for you...an inside joke...made my day...I think most people will find this funny. Unless you are German in which case this is totally normal and you might get offended. I am sorry.

That is it for now. More about the vaca soon. I think ill leave it to T to talk about Ukraine...

V.

No comments:

Post a Comment